Friday, April 15, 2011

stand firm and be relentless.

I've been wanting to write this post for a while, but haven't really found the words to write it. And I'm still not sure I have the right words, but here it goes.

I've been listening to this song called "Make War" by Tedashii...I listen to it almost every day as it's on my running playlist, and as I'm running God uses the lyrics of this song to stir my emotions and my heart and my thoughts. Now I'm not usually a hip-hop fan, but I make an exception for this song.

It is very easy to forget about the war that is going on in this world when we are surrounded by so many distractions.

But "our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." - Ephesians 6:12

I believe first and foremost that we are to fight for souls. Because Satan has already lost and he knows it. He's ticked and he's taking down whomever he can. And we can't waste time sitting around feeling sorry for ourselves,

"For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline." - 1 Timothy 1:7

And how do we fight for souls? I don't think it's by standing on a corner and shouting condemnation at people. And I don't think it's forcing your beliefs on someone at your job or at school. But I think it's this: Be Christ. Be his example everywhere you go. (I am a major failure at this most of the time). And people will notice. They will ask why you're different.

Back to the song...the song basically talks about making war on our own sins, but it always makes me think of getting out of my laziness and nonchalant attitude and doing something. Because I think sometimes we're asleep and we don't even know it. We don't realize that our next-door neighbor just wants someone to acknowledge the fact that they exist. Or the fact that in the three seconds it takes to turn on the faucet for a drink of clean water a child somewhere will die because they have no water.

It is so easy for me here to forget about people that need love, that need God, that need a home, that need food and water. Because I have all of this. And so, sadly, I forget.

It is amazing to me that here we can go into a restaurant, order whatever we want, eat, and leave. Obviously, nothing wrong with this, but it is so weird for me to think about because I wonder how many people in poverty would actually believe me if I told them that there's a place where they can ask for food and in a few minutes they will get it.

So again, I am anxious for graduation next May. I am ready to get out and help and love on people for God's kingdom. I'm ready to be a teacher and work with students and feed, clothe, house them if necessary. People always say they have a "life verse" and I never really had one because I believe they all should be life verses. But I guess if I had one that I would focus on it would be this: "From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked." - Luke 12:48

God has given me so much through my awesome parents: plenty of food, a nice house, my own car, my own apartment, and a lot more. And I will spend my life giving back to people and to my parents (when I can...I always joke about how I'll never be able to repay them because I'm just a college student with almost no money). But I am going to give back.

I am so ready to make war for God's kingdom. How will you choose to spend your life? Are you living for God or living just to get through? Although you may not feel like God has called you to a life in missions, I would highly recommend at least visiting a country where poverty is rampant and there is the risk of getting hurt (I know, you're thinking I'm crazy...but this is what God uses to change you).

Get out of your comfort zone and do something for the people who are hurting around you. If you don't have any ideas, message me, because I could probably help you.

My favorite part of this song?
"Wake up, and let's get it."


No comments:

Post a Comment