1) Patience, patience, patience. As I watch some of my friends' lives taking off (I was supposed to graduate this year) I feel a sense of loneliness, although I am surrounded by good friends. God has blessed me with a great roommate, and because we're flying solo now in the apt. we hang out a lot! We are trying to plan an epic camping trip on very little cash. I am watching friends leave for jobs, internships, summer camps, and to serve in other countries. In church today I was thinking about how restless my heart has been, and it's like God was saying, "Aubrie, you need to chill out." I guess I feel like He's telling me that my life will "take off" soon enough. So I will be spending this summer in Bible study, reading, resting, hanging out and impacting the people around me. Compared to last summer, I feel....lazy? But I know that God is using me in ways that I probably don't realize. Things I don't miss about Mexico: getting sick a lot...that's it.
2) I have become addicted to America's Next Top Model. It does not help that every episode since season 1 is on YouTube. Gah. I need to get over it already! I guess I can't bash The Bachelor anymore!
3) I have been researching some different ministries I'd like to work for after I graduate. Many of them need ESL teachers and I've ALWAYS wanted to teach abroad. I'm looking at Makarios International and NICS...but we'll see. Part of me wouldn't mind teaching in the States if that's what God calls me to....but again I've ALWAYS wanted to teach abroad. :) It is so crazy to think that this journey may begin in just a year.
4) In talking about working for a ministry, most ministries require you to raise your own salary. I am terrified about this. It's not that I don't trust God to take care of me, I just don't like asking for money. And I have debt. Not a lot, but some. When I was 8 I struggled asking people to buy Girl Scout cookies...so we'll see how the money thing goes.
5) This summer I'm going to start training for my fourth half-marathon! I just don't know if I'll ever be hardcore enough to do a full. Kansas is so dang hot that I am going to have to get up at like the behind-crack of dawn to run. Because in Manhattan the creepers come out at night and there's no way I'm going out then! This race is in September in Omaha. Gonna be H.O.T. I've never been to Omaha. And I don't like Nebraska that much. But it should be fun!
If you've read to this point, I am sorry that I have nothing deep to tell you. Only that although the rapture has not happened, it will! One thing I want to work on this summer is living prepared.
"But concerning that day or that hour, no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Be on guard, keep awake. For you do not know when the time will come. It is like a man going on a journey, when he leaves home and puts his servants in charge, each with his work, and commands the doorkeeper to stay awake. Therefore stay awake—for you do not know when the master of the house will come, in the evening, or at midnight, or when the rooster crows, or in the morning— lest he come suddenly and find you asleep. And what I say to you I say to all: Stay awake."
- Mark 13:32-36
Of course, God isn't saying, "YOU CAN NEVER GO TO SLEEP." Just be prepared. Today in church Pastor Ryan told us that we need to think about Christ before we go to sleep and when we get up...a good challenge. I hope this post finds you all well! Please let me know how I can be praying for any of you.
And again, I miss Mexico. Please, please, pray for the families this summer who are still waiting on homes. Many people will die in the heat this summer. Blunt and harsh? Yes. True? Definitely. Does it have to be that way? No. Interested in coming to build? Let me know!
Thanks to Google (and the original photographer) for the picture.