Wednesday, December 8, 2010

time waster.

Back in January of 2007 I made the decision to get a Facebook, like many of my friends did. At first I would get on maybe once a day to check and see what was going on, but as the months went on and I left for college I found myself becoming even more and more addicted to it.

It's an addiction. And a dangerous one.

For the last couple weeks I have been battling with myself over whether or not to close it, when I finally came to the conclusion that it was time to leave the Facebook world, at least for a little while.

I was convicted.

I was convicted because, and I'm not kidding, I spent upwards of two hours a day on Facebook. Two hours.

Now I know that there are people who spend way more time than that on Facebook, but that's up to them. I told myself when I left high school that I wanted to be a world changer. And I can tell you it's not going to happen by me sitting on Facebook for hours on end.

Next semester, I don't want to just get by in my classes. I want to learn as much as I can so that I can be prepared because I can tell you that as a future ESL teacher I have a long road ahead of me. I can guarantee you there will be students in my classroom whose parents came to this country illegally. I will not deny any of my future students an education and I have to be able to stand up for them and have the research to back up what I say.

There will be principals who tell me that my students are not allowed to speak their first language at all while in the classroom, which I know already (from the small amount of research I have done) can be detrimental to their learning experience. And so I must be able to tell those around me why it's important for students to use any language they need to so that they can understand and learn.

So for the last two semesters of my college career I will be spending time preparing for the real world instead of wasting my time on Facebook.

Also, my Jesus is coming back for me someday and I won't be sitting on Facebook when He does.

"...the hour has come for you to wake from sleep. For salvation is nearer to us now than when we first believed." - Romans 13:11

1 comment:

  1. A few things, 1 I like the new background first thing I noticed, 2 best of luck I find myself in the same position between facebook, twitter and reading sports news. You are a person with a high calling on your life and I cant wait to see how it unfolds. Hopefully you post some on facebook so that I can see it or we stay in contact in other ways. ;)

    ReplyDelete